Friday, December 5, 2008

Korean Cuisine - For Daring Epicureans

For the very first time in my life I sampled Korean Food. Korean food is far more pricier than its south east asian culinary cousins, and offers much more "variety". I love south east asian cuisine and have had my fill of Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai and of course - the indomitable Chinese. But, never Korean.

I pride my chop-sticking abilities and tolerance to "strong aromas". I also beleived that I was an all ingesting foodie demi God, until I had a Korean barbecue lunch. The restaurant, to set the coordinates straight, is located at the Chicago suburb - Schaumburg and is called "Soliphana". A colleauge who lunched along with me, came up with a semi-colloquial punch phrase post the meal - "Soliphana - Kabhi Math Jana". In Hindi that meant never go to Soliphana.

I ordered a Chicken dish with rice for lunch. The Chicken tasted very similiar to south indian curry with a bit of ageing and an extra kettle of oil and the "side dishes" seemed like the seawater wasn't as yet off them. Side dishes included sea weed, sea cabbage and 4 other dishes which proabably had some sea by its side.

I finished the whole dish and marked it down as one of the key survival milestones in my life.

Soliphana - Phir Nahi Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment